Eevo Theme
   [ Main Page ][ First New  ]

Backups
Security ]
Posted by Krux on Thursday August 30, 2012 @ 07:38pm
>>reply ][ rating +0  ]

So this is more for Stealth, since he has like all of the TBs at home. But I was looking for a decent backup solution that offered unlimited storage and handled Linux without having to mount a samba share or some shit.. So my co-worker suggested Crash Plan, as that's what he was using. Seems they have a family unlimited plan which lets you do up to 10 computers. And most important for those paranoid security types, you have the option to encrypt your data using a 448-bit encryption key that they don't have. It's also pretty inexpensive considering what you get. And with about 4TB of data I need to backup, I figured it's worth at least trying out for a year to see how I like it.

Here's the bitch of course, 4TB of data is going to take a VERY long time to upload. Backed up the servers quickly enough since they have bandwidth, and considerably less data. But the bulk of it is on the machines at home, so that means being bottle necked by the cable modem upload speed. Looks like it'll take about 6 months to upload the data at the current rate. I could upgrade my cable modem speed, but to get at the level where the upload speed changes from what I have now it's an additional $70 a month. That's out of my price range at the moment.

<< Re: Backups
Security ]
Posted by Stealth on Tuesday September 11, 2012 @ 11:06am
>>reply ][ rating +1  ]

Here's a free year of crashplan, unlimited data.

http://lifehacker.com/5942227/grab-a-free-year-of-unlimited-backup-from-crashplan

You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity - Bullet Tooth Tony


<< Re: Backups
Security ]
Posted by Stealth on Tuesday September 4, 2012 @ 06:56pm
>>reply ][ rating +0  ]

So this is more for Stealth, since he has like all of the TBs at home. But I was looking for a decent backup solution that offered unlimited storage and handled Linux without having to mount a samba share or some shit.. So my co-worker suggested Crash Plan, as that's what he was using. Seems they have a family unlimited plan which lets you do up to 10 computers. And most important for those paranoid security types, you have the option to encrypt your data using a 448-bit encryption key that they don't have. It's also pretty inexpensive considering what you get. And with about 4TB of data I need to backup, I figured it's worth at least trying out for a year to see how I like it.

Here's the bitch of course, 4TB of data is going to take a VERY long time to upload. Backed up the servers quickly enough since they have bandwidth, and considerably less data. But the bulk of it is on the machines at home, so that means being bottle necked by the cable modem upload speed. Looks like it'll take about 6 months to upload the data at the current rate. I could upgrade my cable modem speed, but to get at the level where the upload speed changes from what I have now it's an additional $70 a month. That's out of my price range at the moment.

I really think we should colo backup servers at each other place.. I send a box or at least a drive your way with a baseline rsnapshot and then use that as a basis. I could do the same for you and others. Of course you have to trust each other in that regard.

Right now I just backup my stuff to another drive or two.. but I only have about 300GB of stuff I want to keep.. the rest of the stuff I just hope the RAID5 and hot standbys work out ok.

"[Sigh] - I hate you Kenny" -- Cartman


<< Re: Backups
Security ]
Posted by voltaic on Friday September 7, 2012 @ 08:20am
>>reply ][ rating +0  ]

I really think we should colo backup servers at each other place.. I send a box or at least a drive your way with a baseline rsnapshot and then use that as a basis. I could do the same for you and others. Of course you have to trust each other in that regard.

Right now I just backup my stuff to another drive or two.. but I only have about 300GB of stuff I want to keep.. the rest of the stuff I just hope the RAID5 and hot standbys work out ok.

For only 300Gb, why go to all the trouble? Keep another drive in your drawer and every so often just do a mass copy. That's my backup strategy anyway (with super-critical files also on a USB stick).

"it's good that they shop and spend and camp out waiting for the great deal to save $5 on a toaster." - Stealth


<< Re: Backups
Security ]
Posted by Stealth on Saturday September 8, 2012 @ 07:36am
>>reply ][ rating +0  ]

I really think we should colo backup servers at each other place.. I send a box or at least a drive your way with a baseline rsnapshot and then use that as a basis. I could do the same for you and others. Of course you have to trust each other in that regard.

Right now I just backup my stuff to another drive or two.. but I only have about 300GB of stuff I want to keep.. the rest of the stuff I just hope the RAID5 and hot standbys work out ok.

For only 300Gb, why go to all the trouble? Keep another drive in your drawer and every so often just do a mass copy. That's my backup strategy anyway (with super-critical files also on a USB stick).

In case house goes up in smoke; or i can't go back to the house for some reason. Of site, not local backup. That's why i want to do it somewhere else.

"Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound" - J. Clarkson


<< Re: Backups
Security ]
Posted by voltaic on Friday September 14, 2012 @ 08:24am
>>reply ][ rating +0  ]

For only 300Gb, why go to all the trouble? Keep another drive in your drawer and every so often just do a mass copy. That's my backup strategy anyway (with super-critical files also on a USB stick).

In case house goes up in smoke; or i can't go back to the house for some reason. Of site, not local backup. That's why i want to do it somewhere else.

That's a fair point.

"it's good that they shop and spend and camp out waiting for the great deal to save $5 on a toaster." - Stealth


<< Re: Backups
Security ]
Posted by MadArab on Friday September 14, 2012 @ 10:21am
>>reply ][ rating +1  ]

For only 300Gb, why go to all the trouble? Keep another drive in your drawer and every so often just do a mass copy. That's my backup strategy anyway (with super-critical files also on a USB stick).

In case house goes up in smoke; or i can't go back to the house for some reason. Of site, not local backup. That's why i want to do it somewhere else.

That's a fair point.

st00ph is fare and balensed.

Yes, London. You know: fish, chips, cup 'o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary fucking Poppins... LONDON.


<< Re: Backups
Security ]
Posted by MadArab on Wednesday September 5, 2012 @ 07:29am
>>reply ][ rating +0  ]

I really think we should colo backup servers at each other place.. I send a box or at least a drive your way with a baseline rsnapshot and then use that as a basis. I could do the same for you and others. Of course you have to trust each other in that regard.

Right now I just backup my stuff to another drive or two.. but I only have about 300GB of stuff I want to keep.. the rest of the stuff I just hope the RAID5 and hot standbys work out ok.

Well I have a reasonably fat pipe (50/5), and so far Time Warner has been chill on bandwidth outside of that town in Texas they've been testing with for years now (although they either throttle at Prime Time or usage is high... not sure, I seem to get 20-30/5 between 6 and 10pm). I'd only have to shut anyone down when I get my nightly Battlefield 3 on.

Some hate the English. I don't. They're just wankers. We, on the other hand, are COLONIZED by wankers. Can't even find a decent culture to be colonized BY.


<< Re: Backups
Security ]
Posted by MadArab on Thursday August 30, 2012 @ 09:04pm
>>reply ][ rating +0  ]

Wow! For that price, it makes me feel like... "It's a trap!"


<< Re: Backups
Security ]
Posted by Krux on Thursday August 30, 2012 @ 10:25pm
>>reply ][ rating +0  ]

Wow! For that price, it makes me feel like... "It's a trap!"

Given that they also offer an enterprise version, and claim Google, Cisco, Netflix, etc.. are their customers, I would like to think they are sticking around for awhile. And maybe that's why they're so inexpensive.

What really sold me is that it works with the headless Linux servers I have. The client part can connect to the servers via a ssh tunnel. Also once the client is initially configured you can change any of the settings via the web.

The other thing that sold me is that my roommate lost the drive in his laptop, and along with it all the code he had been working on. Worth it to me to spend the money on something that can backup all my machines continuously. It also looks like they're smart about the order they backup files. Newer files are backed up before older files

"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible." -- Arthur C. Clarke


<< Re: Backups
Security ]
Posted by bmunroe on Friday August 31, 2012 @ 03:05pm
>>reply ][ rating +0  ]

Wow! For that price, it makes me feel like... "It's a trap!"

Given that they also offer an enterprise version, and claim Google, Cisco, Netflix, etc.. are their customers, I would like to think they are sticking around for awhile. And maybe that's why they're so inexpensive

Do you really believe Google and Netflix need to use this service? I bet they are stretching the truth (like some remote google office with GBs of data or something) - seems fishy. Netflix uses EC2 and I would think that they would design their backup plan to take advantage of AWS and not some sketchy company that may or may not be lying about their customer base.

I just read about this, and thus why I am commenting on the topic:

http://aws.amazon.com/glacier/

Never mistake motion for action


<< Re: Backups
Security ]
Posted by Krux on Friday August 31, 2012 @ 04:45pm
>>reply ][ rating +0  ]

Wow! For that price, it makes me feel like... "It's a trap!"

Given that they also offer an enterprise version, and claim Google, Cisco, Netflix, etc.. are their customers, I would like to think they are sticking around for awhile. And maybe that's why they're so inexpensive

Do you really believe Google and Netflix need to use this service? I bet they are stretching the truth (like some remote google office with GBs of data or something) - seems fishy. Netflix uses EC2 and I would think that they would design their backup plan to take advantage of AWS and not some sketchy company that may or may not be lying about their customer base.

All companies need a backup solution. Think of the man hours that are wasted shuffling tapes or hard drives around for off site backups. If you have a solution that can just automatically handle all that for you in the background, why wouldn't you go with it? Also keep in mind that with large internet/data center companies you may have two (or more) different IT departments, each which handles different systems. People who handle the front end stuff, things customers hit what you are selling in essence, and then there is also the back end stuff, which handles the systems required for your employees, etc.. So not saying that Google is using Crash Plan for all of their backups. But some department somewhere in Google is.

Also I never got the impression they were sketchy, otherwise I wouldn't have gone with them.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/01/17/code-42-software-raises-52-5m-to-raise-profile-for-online-backup/

In 2008, the company expanded into enterprise backup and it now has 4,000 enterprise customers. Many of those, including Google, have taken the company up on its private data cloud service, where the customer takes control of the management of the data in the cloud.


So 4000 enterprise customers in 4 years. Not bad.

"I will fucking destroy you." -v


<< Re: Backups
Security ]
Posted by MadArab on Friday August 31, 2012 @ 06:20am
>>reply ][ rating +0  ]

Reading a review on CrashPlan from last year, thought this was interesting:

In addition to being able to use cloud storage, external drives, and your other computers for backups, the consumer version of CrashPlan will let you create your own personal ?cloud? with other friends using CrashPlan. Using either codes or email invites, friends can set up one-way or two-way backups between their systems, gaining many of the benefits of off-site backups without requiring you to pay CrashPlan to use their cloud. The real-world usefulness of this feature will depend on the quality and quantity of your friends, but it?s an interesting addition I didn?t see in any other products.

Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.


<< Re: Backups
Security ]
Posted by voltaic on Friday August 31, 2012 @ 12:09pm
>>reply ][ rating +0  ]

Man, that way of framing a shared file-depository might have saved Napster.


<< Re: Backups
Security ]
Posted by Krux on Friday August 31, 2012 @ 04:54pm
>>reply ][ rating +0  ]

Man, that way of framing a shared file-depository might have saved Napster.

Yea, you can use their software for free if you are backing up to your own or your friend's machines. Data's still encrypted, so they're just storing "stuff" for you. Not sure if there is a way where you could have it setup a file mirror that was accessible at both places or not. Though I suppose you could do that with rsync.

"The First Amendment was designed to protect offensive speech, because nobody ever tries to ban the other kind"
-- Mike Godwin


<< Re: Backups
Security ]
Posted by MadArab on Friday August 31, 2012 @ 06:07am
>>reply ][ rating +0  ]

Wow! For that price, it makes me feel like... "It's a trap!"

Given that they also offer an enterprise version, and claim Google, Cisco, Netflix, etc.. are their customers, I would like to think they are sticking around for awhile. And maybe that's why they're so inexpensive.

That's REALLY inexpensive though, compared to others, especially from one I've not heard of before. But... everything looks and feels pretty good, it's well put together and thought out.

What really sold me is that it works with the headless Linux servers I have. The client part can connect to the servers via a ssh tunnel. Also once the client is initially configured you can change any of the settings via the web.

Yeah, I noticed. They're not limiting themselves with their client availability that's for sure.

What do you know about their encryption? Since this seems to backup whatever files/folders you want, is the encryption taking part on their servers, or are you encrypting your drive? Also, if it's encrypting locally, and you make changes, do only the changes go back up, or the entire encrypted volume? I know this has been a problem for many folks figuring out their own encryption and cloud backup schemes, not sure how it works when it's integrated and built in from the ground up.

Well, I'm glad to hear that. Listen, I've been fatally poisoned, there's probably a psychopath heading over there to torture and kill you as we speak, but don't bother getting out of bed, I'll be there in a flash... Maybe you could fry me up a waffle or something, kay?


<< Re: Backups
Security ]
Posted by Krux on Friday August 31, 2012 @ 04:30pm
>>reply ][ rating +0  ]

What do you know about their encryption? Since this seems to backup whatever files/folders you want, is the encryption taking part on their servers, or are you encrypting your drive? Also, if it's encrypting locally, and you make changes, do only the changes go back up, or the entire encrypted volume? I know this has been a problem for many folks figuring out their own encryption and cloud backup schemes, not sure how it works when it's integrated and built in from the ground up.

448-bit Blowfish. Since they don't have the encryption key, the data would have to be encrypted locally before transfer. From what I read they also use 128-bit encryption to secure the transport.

http://www.schneier.com/blowfish.html

Blowfish is a symmetric block cipher that can be used as a drop-in replacement for DES or IDEA. It takes a variable-length key, from 32 bits to 448 bits, making it ideal for both domestic and exportable use. Blowfish was designed in 1993 by Bruce Schneier as a fast, free alternative to existing encryption algorithms. Since then it has been analyzed considerably, and it is slowly gaining acceptance as a strong encryption algorithm. Blowfish is unpatented and license-free, and is available free for all uses.


"What's worse, thinking you're being paranoid or knowing you should be?"


<< Re: Backups
Security ]
Posted by rub on Sunday September 16, 2012 @ 04:15pm
>>reply ][ rating +0  ]

448-bit Blowfish. Since they don't have the encryption key, the data would have to be encrypted locally before transfer. From what I read they also use 128-bit encryption to secure the transport.

http://www.schneier.com/blowfish.html

Blowfish is a symmetric block cipher that can be used as a drop-in replacement for DES or IDEA. It takes a variable-length key, from 32 bits to 448 bits, making it ideal for both domestic and exportable use. Blowfish was designed in 1993 by Bruce Schneier as a fast, free alternative to existing encryption algorithms. Since then it has been analyzed considerably, and it is slowly gaining acceptance as a strong encryption algorithm. Blowfish is unpatented and license-free, and is available free for all uses.


So file (not file diff) gets encrypted locally and then sync'd over to them. Why not just run your own rsync on a cron and stick the shit on your own server you control?

"$210 savings? How does that math work? With the RV are you then getting Jew food out of the dumpster behind the Smiths?" - Krux


<< Re: Backups
Security ]
Posted by Krux on Sunday September 16, 2012 @ 04:51pm
>>reply ][ rating +0  ]

448-bit Blowfish. Since they don't have the encryption key, the data would have to be encrypted locally before transfer. From what I read they also use 128-bit encryption to secure the transport.

http://www.schneier.com/blowfish.html

Blowfish is a symmetric block cipher that can be used as a drop-in replacement for DES or IDEA. It takes a variable-length key, from 32 bits to 448 bits, making it ideal for both domestic and exportable use. Blowfish was designed in 1993 by Bruce Schneier as a fast, free alternative to existing encryption algorithms. Since then it has been analyzed considerably, and it is slowly gaining acceptance as a strong encryption algorithm. Blowfish is unpatented and license-free, and is available free for all uses.


So file (not file diff) gets encrypted locally and then sync'd over to them. Why not just run your own rsync on a cron and stick the shit on your own server you control?

Because getting a server that can backup 5TB of data isn't cheap.

The other day I... uh, no, that wasn't me. -- Steven Wright


<< Re: Backups
Security ]
Posted by rub on Sunday September 16, 2012 @ 05:41pm
>>reply ][ rating +0  ]

Because getting a server that can backup 5TB of data isn't cheap.

pi running nix with some external usb 2tb drives?

"$210 savings? How does that math work? With the RV are you then getting Jew food out of the dumpster behind the Smiths?" - Krux


<< Re: Backups
Security ]
Posted by Krux on Sunday September 16, 2012 @ 07:30pm
>>reply ][ rating +0  ]

Because getting a server that can backup 5TB of data isn't cheap.

pi running nix with some external usb 2tb drives?

Offsite backups.

"You'll never get dressed as quick as when you wake up next to a naked dead chick." -- rb


<< Re: Backups
Security ]
Posted by rub on Sunday September 16, 2012 @ 08:42pm
>>reply ][ rating +0  ]

Offsite backups.

ya, stick that shit somewhere else and you're good to go

"$210 savings? How does that math work? With the RV are you then getting Jew food out of the dumpster behind the Smiths?" - Krux


<< Re: Backups
Security ]
Posted by MadArab on Monday September 17, 2012 @ 08:56am
>>reply ][ rating +0  ]

Offsite backups.

ya, stick that shit somewhere else and you're good to go

Something that requires as little effort as possible. This is Krux we're talking about.

Armed robbery. With a replica. I mean, how the fuck can it be armed robbery with a fucking replica?


<< Re: Backups
Security ]
Posted by rub on Monday September 17, 2012 @ 11:15am
>>reply ][ rating +0  ]

Something that requires as little effort as possible. This is Krux we're talking about.

i don't like the idea of handing over all my shit to someone where lethargy is my main motivation, regardless of it's state of encryption

"$210 savings? How does that math work? With the RV are you then getting Jew food out of the dumpster behind the Smiths?" - Krux


<< Re: Backups
Security ]
Posted by Stealth on Thursday September 20, 2012 @ 01:42pm
>>reply ][ rating +0  ]

Something that requires as little effort as possible. This is Krux we're talking about.

i don't like the idea of handing over all my shit to someone where lethargy is my main motivation, regardless of it's state of encryption

It would be nice to maybe do some of both. Maybe have a server at someones house, then have on that server a truecrypt volume that you mount, run rsync on and dismount. you could script almost all of it I would think, but you still have to get the password to it somehow.. but then it;s just storage and bandwidth that you need.

"Stuff sold by the gram is always going to be more exciting than stuff sold by the pound" - J. Clarkson


<< Re: Backups
Security ]
Posted by rub on Saturday September 22, 2012 @ 02:00am
>>reply ][ rating +0  ]

It would be nice to maybe do some of both. Maybe have a server at someones house, then have on that server a truecrypt volume that you mount, run rsync on and dismount. you could script almost all of it I would think, but you still have to get the password to it somehow.. but then it;s just storage and bandwidth that you need.

Ya exactly, the problem is that mount/dismount. If you script it now you have the volume password sitting unencrypted somewhere

I have yet to figure out a great solution but the less I give to 3rd parties the better I feel about it. A 3rd party can be subpoenaed, hacked (they are a bigger target then little me), or just decide to be a douchebag and hand over information

"$210 savings? How does that math work? With the RV are you then getting Jew food out of the dumpster behind the Smiths?" - Krux


   [ Main Page ][ First New  ]